Wednesday, April 16, 2014

That Stubborn Streak Isn't Always In Her best Interests

I used to accuse (nicely) my other 4 children of being just like their father; stubborn. Not at all like me, of course. HA
I know Kalisha has some of that too or she would never have learned to do many of the things she has. However, it is one thing to be hard-headed and another to not be able to see the results of that. If that all sounds like gibberish, I will give you an example.

The city bus system in our town offers half-price fares to people who qualify as special needs individuals. One requirement is they must go to the office and have their picture taken for an ID so they can show it to the bus driver if their half-fare is questioned.
Kalisha's ID expired a year ago, but I wasn't aware of it as she never told me she needed to have it renewed. Most of the drivers know her and never question her half-price status.

This morning, she needed to be at work at Parkview Field at 9:30, which meant she needed to catch the 9:00 bus at the end of our street. She took $3 (normal fare) with her. Soon she was coming back in the front door, madder than a wet hen.

"What happened?"

"Sammy wouldn't let me on with an expired ID."

"So now what are you going to do?"

My car was being fixed so I had no way to get her there.

Kalisha was worried she would lose her job if she was late and was trying to think of someone to call to take her. We called several people but they either weren't answering their phone or were busy. Finally, we did reach my cousin who agreed to come and get her. In the meantime, Kalisha called her supervisor and told her she would be 15 minutes late.

As we waited for Mary to pick her up, it occurred to me she could have paid the $3 regular fare and ridden the bus AND been on time.

"Kalisha, why didn't you just pay the regular fare and get on the darned bus?"

"Well, I wasn't going to pay that when I am supposed to pay half-fare."

"Don't you think it would have been better to do that and be on time than being in a panic about how you would get there and then inconveniencing Mary to take you?"

"Yeah, I guess so, but I just didn't want to pay the full fare."

Oy. The logic is lost somewhere and it becomes a 'cut your nose off to spite your face' kind of situation.

I explained that sometimes being stubborn about things is a very good thing but some times you have to think of the end circumstances.

We went to get a new ID when she came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...